You Can Help

There are many ways to support The War Memorial. Your charitable gifts make an important difference in what we are able to accomplish.

To learn more about charitable giving, please contact Joyce Russell at, or call 313.332.4075.

Gifts by Cash, Check or Credit Card

There is no easier way to make a gift! The War Memorial has been recognized as a 501(c)(3) charitable organization by the Internal Revenue Service and your contributions are deductible to the extent allowed by law.

Matching Gifts

Your gift to The War Memorial could be worth even more if your employer matches charitable gifts. Check with your benefits office to see if your employer will match your gift to The War Memorial.


The War Memorial is an active institution that welcomes 250,000 people each year. Sponsoring one of our events or activities is a great way to promote your business or organization. Many activities are available for sponsorship at a variety of levels and with different packages of sponsor benefits. For more information on sponsorship, please contact our office.

Gifts from an IRA

Individuals 70½ or older can now give up to $100,000 per year directly from their IRA to The War Memorial without having to pay tax on the distribution. Such gifts can also help satisfy your annual Required Minimum Distribution. For more information on how to make a charitable gift from your IRA, please contact your IRA administrator.

Gifts of Appreciated Securities

Some donors find it advantageous to use appreciated securities (stocks, bonds, etc) in their charitable giving because doing so can offer donors two-fold tax savings. First, they avoid paying capital gains tax on the appreciated value of the securities. Second, they can receive a charitable deduction for full fair market value of the securities at the time of the gift. Explore this option with your tax or financial adviser and then contact our office for details on how to transfer securities to The War Memorial.

Planned Giving Opportunities

Planned gifts allow you to create a lasting legacy at The War Memorial by supporting our work with veterans and service to the community while still deriving significant tax benefits for yourself.

Bequests — Including The War Memorial in your will is the most common way supporters can continue giving beyond their lifetime. Please consider a bequest to The War Memorial when you make or update your will.

Gifts that Pay You Income — Charitable Remainder Uni- and Annuity Trusts allow donors to convert assets into a lifetime income stream for themselves now while benefiting The War Memorial later.

Retirement Plan Assets — You can also donate assets held in retirement plans to support our work by designating The War Memorial as a beneficiary.


Gifts-in-Kind are non-monetary assets that represent value to The War Memorial. Some gifts-in-kind are donated for use in our activities and save us money while others are given in the expectation that they will be sold to help fund our work. If you believe that you might have a potential gift-in-kind of either type, please contact us for more information about giving in kind at The War Memorial.

Gifts of Real Estate

Some donors choose to use an unneeded residence, vacation home, farm acreage, or buildable lot in their charitable giving. This can be very advantageous to donors when the property to be donated has appreciated significantly. It is even possible to make a gift of your home, farm, or vacation home structured in such a way that you and your spouse can continue to use it during your lifetimes while receiving a tax deduction in the year that you make your gift. If you think you might want to use real property to make a gift to The War Memorial, contact our office for more information on the process.

For More Information

For more information on any of the giving options discussed here, please contact Joyce Russell at, or call 313.332.4075.

These are examples of ways that people have or could support The War Memorial. Nothing here should be construed as tax or financial advice applicable to your individual situation. You should contact your own tax advisor or accountant to learn how this information relates to you and your individual circumstances.